Smart energy meters are used to measure the electricity that is utilized in a household, office complex, business establishment etc. It helps in minimizing the error in reporting the amount of electricity consumed and hence in billing. There are many energy meter manufacturers in India which produce high-quality meters. It is reliable and as such, you can be sure that you are charged for exactly what you are using. One such great company is TECHOVN. It consists of AMR meters which are the first-generation smart meters and AMI meters which are the second-generation smart meters. The pros and cons of using AMR meters and AMI meters are different. AMR meters provide self-health check along with updates periodically to ensure that the meter is up to date. It has multi-utility metering capacities which ensure that the consumption data are efficiently updated in the system. The AMI meters are the smart meters that help in managing the meter automatically. It also provides data so that it can implement energy-efficient practices.
Component of smart meter includes:
- Meter: It measures the flow of electric current from the input to the output terminal.
- Display: It displays the reading of the meter indicating the power consumed.
- Communication system: The system is used toestablish communication with the billing authority. These are either used for one-way or both-way communication.
There are many advantages of using energy meters. Some of them are listed below:
- They provide detailed analysis of the amount of electricity used and thus you can get a detailed break up of where you have used the maximum amount of electricity.
- Once you have a detailed analysis of your consumption you can adjust your usage accordingly. Thus, you can use the resources efficiently and as per your needs.
- Thus, you can save electricity usage and also save money in the process.
- The monitoring of the readings is done in real-time and as such one can know the consumption at any given time.
There are some minor disadvantages of using smart meters. Some of them are listed below:
- The installation price of the meter is not included with the electrical connection and it is extra.
- Some people find it alarming as private data is collected and there is also the question of how it will be used.
- The maintenance of the meter also falls upon the consumer. It is also a long-term financial commitment as the meter gets updated at regular intervals and you need to adjust with the same.
The disadvantages of smart meters are minimum to that of their advantages. The disadvantages may be overlooked and one can bear the same. Once a smart meter is installed you have the full details of your usage which you can optimize so that minimal consumption is done and you can reap maximum benefits. They are designed to help you save energy and resources for the future. However, the companies should ensure the privacy of the customers and should not use the data for any unfair means. Smart energy meter manufacturers in India produce high-quality products and one can surely opt for the same.